Data Analysis & Processing
Examples of Data Analysis & Processing Experience …
Car, Train, and Locomotive Event Data Analysis & Processing
URCS Costing Development
Intermodal Unit Tracking and Analysis
Simulation Software Development
GIS Data Analysis and Manipulation
Statistical Model Development
Database Analysis & Processing
L. E. Peabody & Associates, Inc. develops numerous analytical tools and databases to meet the specific needs of our clients. We continuously improve and enhance the usability of each database and analytical tool in order to maintain state of the art processes. The Firm frequently evaluates databases containing hundreds of millions of records and summarizes findings in a clear and concise manner. Our database capabilities enable us to assist our clients to achieve strategic and operational improvements expeditiously. Data security and confidentiality are our priority and we adhere to Sensitive Security Information (SSI) standards.
Often, our clients need assistance evaluating big data that they do not have the capabilities to evaluate efficiently. Our tools and experience allow us to quickly combine, normalize and streamline large datasets while delivering meaningful reports taylored to our client's needs.
In other cases, our clients leverage our knowledge and experience to modernize and improve in-house data systems. We evaluate, revise, and improve data manipulation strategies every day, and this experience can be beneficial to clients looking to improve efficiency and reduce labor costs associated with data handling.
L. E. Peabody & Associates, Inc. has developed several proprietary models over the decades that help us meet our clients’ needs in a unique way. We continuously improve and enhance the applications of each model to maximize and improve efficiency. While our proprietary models are specific to certain tasks, they are also sufficiently flexible for application to a variety of assignments.
We have developed proprietary models including, but not limited to the following:
- "URCS"- (Uniform Railroad Costing System) is the industry standard costing system used by the STB for all regulatory purposes, including maximum rail rate cases. L. E. Peabody & Associates, Inc.'s proprietary URCS costing model is used to develop and analyze railroad industry costs. L. E. Peabody & Associates, Inc. was instrumental in designing the Rail Form A railroad costing system and its successor, the URCS model;
- L. E. Peabody & Associates, Inc. Computer Aided Railway Design System (CARDS) program calculates the items necessary to construct a rail line. Through an iterative process and given specific starting and ending locations, CARDS uses United States Geographical Survey data to identify the optimal route and quantify the obstacles faced, for example, grading requirements;
- L. E. Peabody & Associates, Inc. Railroad Operations Simulator (ROS) model analyzes rail operations and capacity requirements. Our ROS model dispatches trains using sophisticated meet and pass algorithms and incorporates the specific terrain and track conditions that form the carrier's network, plus the specifications of the equipment actually used by the carrier. ROS model simulations can be used to identify system bottlenecks, to suggest capacity improvement and operating plans, and to assess the impact of additional traffic on a rail network. The simulation analyses provide management with critical information before any capital expenditures or operational changes are made;
- Our Generation Asset Valuation (“GAV”) Model determines the real option value of power facilities and contracts by relying on "Monte Carlo" simulation. Inputs to the model are plant or contract operating characteristics, market prices, price volatilities and price correlations. Model outputs are asset expected values as well as probability distributions around asset expected values so that asset risks can be assessed. The GAV model is used to support asset decisions related buy/sell/retire, capital additions, and risk management strategies;
- Estimating the maximum reasonable regulatory rate levels based on stand-alone cost principles utilizing our discounted cash flow model (DCF);
- Developing line specific railroad maintenance of way expenditures utilizing our Speed Factored Gross Ton formula (SFGT);
- Developing variable cost of service for the movement of specific commodities over specific railroads during past, present or future time periods using our personal computer generated software;
- Our Short Line Railroad Cost Model (“SRCM”) is a customizable economic model that develops a short line railroad’s directly variable, long-run variable and total costs of service. The SRCM can use either railroad specific cost and operating inputs, or publicly available unit costs and operating parameters to develop it costs functions. Clients have used the L. E. Peabody & Associates, Inc.’s SRCM to for a multitude of purposes, including budgeting, cost forecasting and rate setting purposes.
In today’s technological world where businesses have unique data-driven challenges to overcome, our clients often require a software solution that is not available for purchase from a store. In these instances, our firm has developed on-demand applications to meet our specific clients’ needs. To better serve our clients, we have created online mapping tools, developed applications that scrape and compile data from thousands of documents, created task specific applications to assist our clients with better capturing important data, and developed various other programmatic solutions.
We have experts in multiple programming languages who develop on-demand applications to improve efficiency, cut costs, and improve transparency for any client.
The continuous evolution and growth of data makes it increasingly difficult for businesses to organize, manage, store and analyze their data. Due to this relentless evolution and growth of data, it is more important than ever to be able to summarize, visualize, and contextualize large sets of data in a clear and concise way. Our firm has the ability to evaluate big data and deliver meaningful reports taylored to our client's needs.
Our data analytics experience helps improve efficiency, service levels, reduce costs, increase revenue and modernize our clients' capabilities. We are constantly improving our own technical capabilities to stay ahead of the curve and provide our clients with the best data analytics. Of course, discretion and confidentiality are always a priority as well, and we have a proven track record for adhering to confidentiality requirments such as Sensitive Security Information (SSI).
Our ability to transform and summarize large, distinct data sets into practicable, relevant formats is invaluable to our clients.