|The Firm's historic emphasis has
been in the economic research areas summarized below:
- Negotiations of economic and operational aspects of rail transportation and
fuel supply contracts, as well as interpretation of existing contract provisions.
- Economic determinations and litigation support relating to operations, cost of service and
maximum rate issues in disputes involving rail, motor, water, and pipeline transportation modes.
- Forecasting of general economic trends, specific industrial indices, specific contract
adjustments and the Rail Cost Adjustment Factor, including productivity.
- Development of market alternatives for the supply, procurement and transportation of coal
and other bulk commodities.
- Development of analytical data and testimony on motor carrier operations and rate levels.
- Motor carrier rate and subsidiary acquisition analyses.
- Economic analyses and presentation of expert testimony relating to the
development of postal rates for bulk mail shippers.
- Development of reasonable Postal Rates for large bulk mailers.
- Operations research relating to transportation systems, traffic flow analyses,
maintenance programs, port operations and specific movement planning.
- Presentation of expert testimony and negotiation with railroad
entities in rail merger and acquisition proceedings.
- Property valuation and economic impact analyses of mergers and acquisitions.
- Development of market alternatives for the supply, procurement and transportation of natural gas.
- Negotiation of economic and operational aspects of natural gas supply and transportation contracts.
- Determination of tasks, activities and staffing requirements for the acquisition of natural gas.
- Analysis of natural gas storage operations.
- Determination of costs and revenues for rail passenger, commuter and public transit
operations, and negotiations of payments for shared facilities.
- Development of operating efficiency studies.
- Lost value determinations for potential buy-outs or revisions in both
transportation and bulk commodity supply contracts.
- Development of operating plans, cost accounting systems, line acquisitions, equipment acquisitions,
divisions of through rates and associated issues for non-Class I and shortline railroads.
- Micro and macro projections of commodity consumption transportation patterns and prices.
- Determination of damages and market share dislocations in anti-trust proceedings.
- Railroad short line acquisition, management and cost monitoring.
- Economic analyses relating to changes in regulations affecting transportation and coal supply
alternatives, e.g., Staggers Rail Act, Clean Air Act, Federal Royalties and Tax Issues.
- Arbitration of economic disputes.
- Monitoring and auditing of contracts.
- Construction and implementation of industry market surveys based on representative samples.
- Electric utility prudency determinations.
- Economic analyses of maximum rates for municipal water supply.
- Transportation equipment supply, maintenance planning and lease/purchase analysis.
- Rail abandonments and alternative use analyses.
- Analysis, negotiation and litigation of capital cost issues.
- Shipper representation in motor carrier and railroad undercharge proceedings.
- Valuation of railroad assets for property tax assessment purposes.
- Successful negotiation of favorable rates and service for small package express
delivery on behalf of Fortune 500 Companies.